News & Views on Systemic Body Odor and Halitosis such as trimethylaminuria TMAU. If you have fecal odors or bowel odors it may be metabolic/systemic

20 April 2015

Foodsniffer for detecting body odor/halitosis ?

Foodsniffer
Recently I purchased one of the first consumer enoses, The Foodsniffer. My purpose is to try it out for detecting volatiles emitted from metabolic malodor.

Foodsniffer is in my opinion the first 'consumer enose' that may have potentially been useful for people with metabolic body odor or halitosis. This is because it is designed to detect chemicals that are emitted by rotting food, which I presume my coincide with some (at least) some of the chemicals emitted in 'FMO3 malodor', which would likely be sulfides and amines.

Check it works with your smartphone :
It is nicely designed and the results show up on a smartphone via bluetooth. Unfortunately the android app does not work with my cheap smartphone, so I can't use it. I'm guessing it will work with Iphones and top-end Samsungs. I am hoping that over the app will someday work with my smartphone if they are constantly programming the app to work with other phones. The app does have an android version.

Update about android compatibility :
Foodsniffer say it works with all android phones that have Android version 4.3.0 (Jelly bean) and if the phone has Bluetooth low energy (BLE) inside.

Update 2 (23 apr 2015) :
I got it working with an android tablet that has 4.3 android (jellybean). It seems to give the results as 'fresh/cook well/spoiled', so the results are not much use at the moment. I am not sure if over time they can improve the result data via software updates. Really someone with metabolic malodor needs to know the result for each suspect volatile.

Any use for people with metabolic malodors ?
I have seen cheap gimmick breath checkers etc, that I have no faith in. This is the first consumer enose to market where I thought it may have some merit, though I have low expectations as this technology seems at an early stage of development. I don't know if it tests for trimethylamine.

It depends if it measures each chemical separately and how well it can detect them. I think in technical terms this would mean 'sensitivity' and specificity'. In effect, how good is the sensor ?

So I could not recommend the Foodsniffer for metabolic malodors but at least it's a start and I'm very hopeful in a few years there will be ideal sniffers for the metabolic malodor community.

Keep in mind it's designed to detect rotting food, not metabolic malodors. I'm hoping some of the same volatiles may be common in both those circumstances.

About Foodsniffer :
The company behind foodsniffer seems to be a small Latvian company perhaps associated with a university. I first saw the device on Indiegogo but they now have their own website. The device was promptly dispatched and the packaging and device itself are very professional and stylish. The device sends the results to an app on your smartphone via bluetooth.

Link : Foodsniffer website

Why might this be useful for metabolic malodors ?
The typical pattern is that someone with metabolic malodors cannot smell themselves. So a trusted device to detect odors is essential for this community in my opinion.


Get new posts by email


0 comments:

re Email sub service : Google is stopping this service JULY 21 new post emails will no longer happen

TMAU Stories

systemic BO/halitosis important links

MEBO Research malodor study 2016

Youtube

FMO3 reference

Blog Archive

TMAU/FMO3 research

Systemic Body Odor links

email :
sysbodyodor@gmail.com

Do you have systemic body odor ?

FMO3 Survey Form

FMO3 DNA test result survey
for those who have FMO3 DNA tested
survey still OPEN

TMA blocker pill (links)

P&G - Cleveland press release aug 2015
1st mention of 'DMB pill' dec 2015
FMO3 DNA testing
Update Aug 17 :
Genos is back with it's EXOME test
link

Note :
Exome/Genome testing may be better option than single gene testing.

See this post : link

Note : Genos Exome Testing.

Exome testing is almost the same price now as single gene testing. Also Genos is consumer friendly, which standard DNA labs are not.

So the blog offer to test solely for FMO3 is almost obsolete, and so no longer offered.


Does Genos fully sequence FMO3 gene ?

At the moment it is not clear, but hoped this will become clear over the next few months

Note : possible 'wild west' way of testing FMO3
Use an ancestry dna site and rummage through the raw data

TMAU Webinar #5 : Preti et al