News & Views on Systemic Body Odor and Halitosis such as trimethylaminuria TMAU. If you have fecal odors or bowel odors it may be metabolic/systemic

25 February 2016

DMB food products for TMAU : bad ?


Future 'DMB pill' is exciting development for TMAU
But I am not keen on takings foods with DMB in them
Foods rich in DMB probably are high in choline and other FMO3 sulfides/amines

It seems likely that Cleveland Heartlab and Proctor & Gamble have agreed to make and sell a 'DMB pill' as a protective heart disease supplement. It's unknown when this will be available. This is being sold as a 'TMAO management' supplement. It will likely reduce TMA levels in the human gut, which is great news for those who feel TMA is the sole source of their systemic malodor.

DMB is an alcohol naturally present in certain types of foods, such as 'extra virgin olive oil' and 'balsamic vinegar'. I have a feeling these foods will be bad for people with FMO3 issues.

Reasons :
1 : They are probably high in choline ? If you think TMA is the only source of your odor, then I presume taking high choline foods may be contra-indicative.

2 : They are probably full of FMO3 substrates (sulfides and amines) which might also cause malodor or feed malodor causing bacteria.

3 : Other vague reasons such as concern about acidity.

I tend to find I have a natural aversion to these type of foods, which I suspect is due to them being full of FMO3 sulfide/amines and maybe feeding bacteria that produce sulfide/amines. I had a go with the balsamic vinegar but after a week or 2 started getting migraines.

DMB pill :
Presumably the DMB pill will not have choline or the other FMO3 sulfides/amines, so I will certainly be trying that when it arrives.

FMO3 malodor :
As I always say, I do not think those with FMO3 issues have a problem solely with TMA, so I am always sceptical about something that may help only with TMA.

Links :
P&G announce TMAO management deal Aug 2015
Buffalo news : A DMB pill ?         


Get new posts by email


7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Olive oil is actually very low in choline.

sysbodyodor said...

thanks. didn't know that. how about balsamic vinegar ? that was what I tried

I tend to find I don't feel too good on 'healthy' foods for long. I suspect they might be full of fmo3 substrates. But I could be wrong. Olive oil i have bad memories from 'anti-candida' campaigns. ant the 'fruitier' they are, the worse.

are you trying the 'DMB diet' ?

Stephanie said...

Not really. I've tried to add olive oil into salads and foods. Unfortunately I have to watch my fat/calorie intake so four tablespoons of olive oil a day is more fat than a person is supposed to have in a day. The pill should be able to pull the DMB from the oil instead of ingesting all that fat.

Unknown said...

Are you a doctor or researcher , because your article has no substance.

sysbodyodor said...

It's just my opinion as a community member

Anonymous said...

I have TMAU1, and after many years of trial and error with foods, I found that Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Oil does not make me smell. As Stephanie said it is low in choline. However, I cannot touch the balsamic vinegar, I guess it's because of the sulphites...

sysbodyodor said...

i find i didnt tolerate olive oil well. my own view is that FMO enzymes came about in the animal/plant warfare battle. Plants developing poisons and animals then developing enzymes to metabolize the poisons. in this case FMO's. FMOs seem to metabolize many plant compounds. I expect to have problems with 'potent' plant compounds. i could be wrong.

re Email sub service : Google is stopping this service JULY 21 new post emails will no longer happen

TMAU Stories

systemic BO/halitosis important links

MEBO Research malodor study 2016

Youtube

FMO3 reference

Blog Archive

TMAU/FMO3 research

Systemic Body Odor links

email :
sysbodyodor@gmail.com

Do you have systemic body odor ?

FMO3 Survey Form

FMO3 DNA test result survey
for those who have FMO3 DNA tested
survey still OPEN

TMA blocker pill (links)

P&G - Cleveland press release aug 2015
1st mention of 'DMB pill' dec 2015
FMO3 DNA testing
Update Aug 17 :
Genos is back with it's EXOME test
link

Note :
Exome/Genome testing may be better option than single gene testing.

See this post : link

Note : Genos Exome Testing.

Exome testing is almost the same price now as single gene testing. Also Genos is consumer friendly, which standard DNA labs are not.

So the blog offer to test solely for FMO3 is almost obsolete, and so no longer offered.


Does Genos fully sequence FMO3 gene ?

At the moment it is not clear, but hoped this will become clear over the next few months

Note : possible 'wild west' way of testing FMO3
Use an ancestry dna site and rummage through the raw data

TMAU Webinar #5 : Preti et al